THE Bowgie Inn, Crantock, is situated on West Pentire headland and has one of the most incredible views of any pub in the country. Overlooking one of Cornwall’s most stunning beaches and regularly featured in ‘UK Greatest Pubs’ lists nationwide, if you haven’t sat in The Bowgie’s famous beer garden with a pint and some cheesy chips, you’re seriously missing out! Here’s just five reasons why you should visit this year:
1. Every August Bank Holiday weekend, The Bowgie hosts its annual Ale and Cider Festival seeing thousands of visitors from all over the country descend for four days of ale/cider tasting, games and activities with every penny donated to Cornwall Hospice Care. In total, they have raised well over £30,000 for the charity so get involved by having a jolly good time, all for a good cause!
2. Every month on The Bowgie’s Facebook page, they ask followers to share their photos of Crantock and the surrounding area for their #LetsSeaYourSnaps competition. Choosing a favourite at the end of every month, you could win a £50 food and drink voucher. Happy snapping.
3. The Bowgie is famous for its indulgent hot chocolates - Salted Caramel, Black Forest Gateaux, White Chocolate and Milk Chocolate topped with whipped cream and your choice of sprinkles. It’ll be easy to work off the calories with the South West Coast Path right on the doorstep. The River Gannel lies to the right and to the left, take the path to enjoy an amazing Cornish walk admiring different wildlife along the way, including seals if you’re particularly lucky.
4. The last Thursday of every month at The Bowgie is Jam Night with Cool As ****. This means a whole evening of live music, welcoming all musicians to jam the night away. Cool As **** set up all the equipment and start the night with a few numbers themselves, before inviting guest musicians on stage. All pro equipment is provided including drums, guitars, bass, piano, amps, PA and mics.
5. Cornish food and drink is renowned across the country and when you visit The Bowgie, you’ll be able to see (and taste!) why. Trevethen Gin, Rodda’s Clotted Cream, Aval Dor Vodka, Cornish Lust Liqueur, Camel Valley wine and Atlantic Brewery - just a little of what’s on the menu. ‘Ansom!
6. Sorry, we know we said 5 reasons but we need a sixth to tell you about The Bowgie’s Silver Taste of the West Award, in the ‘Best South West Dining Pub’ category! Expect a huge menu to suit every taste and appetite, from Sunday roast, prime steaks, homemade curries, pies, lasagne, a famous homemade quiche and lunchtime favourites like toasties, salads and sandwiches - the only thing to worry about, is what to order!! And we haven’t even mentioned the desserts. . .